Monday, July 14, 2014

Vain Worries: In the Pink







Pink-a-licious!


Tweens

Growing up, my mother didn't have a clue about makeup and skincare. She was part American Indian so, she tanned naturally, had high cheek bones and, beautiful black hair and blue eyes.  Me? I was European descent with black hair, black eyes, and a creamy, china doll complexion. 

Mother used to say, "You need to get some sun on those legs!"  So, on Sunday afternoons, I would roast myself on the back patio basted in baby oil just to get a touch of color, mostly red, that faded by mid week.  It was a miserable way to spend Sunday afternoons.

As I affectionately called her, Euniepie's makeup routine consisted of a teeny purse size cosmetic bag with Cover Girl makeup and a tube of lipstick.  This combination she applied whilst driving to work every morning.  Her makeup never blended in with her neck, and she used her lipstick to double as rouge.  Occasionally, I would see her use a blue or green eyeshadow on Sunday.  There really should be a ban on driving and makeup application because it is as deadly as texting and driving or, at least, heart stopping.

Teens

I just had this feeling that there was more to cosmetics, and skin care that what I was being "taught," for lack of a better word.  So, after starting part time work at 14, my skincare consisted of soap, and alcohol.  Yup, straight alcohol on a cotton ball after bathing and before putting on my makeup. I was blessed to escape the ravages of teen acne too!

My first makeup brand was Sarah Coventry that came in a round purple case which I received from Santa. I don't remember much about it; however, when it ran out, that was it.  There was no more so, I used what I purchased from the dime store where I worked.

Around 19 years old, I was introduced to Beauty Control cosmetics.  This line featured color swatches to determine your "season" that enabled you to use color to maximize and enhance your natural beauty.  It cost several hundred dollars to join, attend the color training, and receive the color swatches, beauty mirror, lamp, and makeup line.  I was so excited to actually attend the training because, as I said, I knew there was more to healthy skin than alcohol.

Little came of this business, as I continued with my dime store job.  I wasn't the most outgoing of persons, and didn't solicit myself as a Beauty Control consultant, or makeup expert.  So, my makeup routine continued with the over the counter, dime store products.
  
Twenties

Avon, ah Avon.  After getting married, Avon entered the picture.  Yes, I attempted to sell Avon, Tupperware, and Stanley.  I wasn't very successful but, I had an enjoyable time doing it.  Avon makeup didn't last too long for me.  I just didn't care for it like millions of women do.  But, that one perfume, Toccara, still lingers in my nose to this day; I loved it!

After my first child started to school, my husband and I decided it was time for me to return to work.  I was hesitant but, after a call regarding the trade of my car which ended up discussing my job search, I was referred to a retail store called Parisian. 

Parisian was a family owned department store, much more high class than my dime store experience.  But, the HR manager was pleased with my cosmetics background and I was hired as a Clinique Counter Manager.  That is when Life began!  Wow, what fun I had.  What great products I used.  What special training I was afforded!  I can not say enough good things about Clinique, and Estee Lauder cosmetics.  Nor, can I speak more highly of Parisian, which has subsequently been purchased by other companies.

Quarterly, a wonderful little package from Clinique used to great me in the mail and vouchers to purchase Clinique products came just in time to refill my cosmetic case.  Annual meetings allowed me to meet other sales associates. Parisian afforded us a 40% discount on all items purchased for work. And, hourly pay from Parisian plus commission from Clinique padded my family's income.  What a life!

Thirties

It wasn't until I had two children that the hours of retail began to hamper my lifestyle and role of mom.  My hubby had the children nights, weekends, and holidays.  I missed out on so much because of this retail environment.  I loved it, but wanted to spend time with my children so much more. I was wrapping Christmas gifts at work while my family worshipped at Church during Carols by Candlelight.  I was working Black Friday while my family enjoyed left over turkey sandwiches Thanksgiving weekend.  I was wrapping gifts as lovers purchased packages for Valentine's Day instead of eating chocolate strawberries with my hubby.

After 20 years in retail and a divorce, I finally decided I needed to do something different.  My children were almost grown, and what few years I had left, I wanted to spend with them.  So, after retraining, I entered the M-F, 9-5, social services world.  

Better...But, having to pay full price for cosmetics hit me like a ton of bricks!  I tried going back to other brands but, having been sold on Clinique and Estee Lauder, I made it my mission to purchase my cosmetics at "income tax refund" time.  

Pink-a-licious!!!  Some how, I ended up purchasing a pink case to par down my cosmetic bag for my purse that contained a lipstick, eyeshadows, and blush.  It was Mary Kay and I loved their color line.  Still sold on Clinique, I kept using the skin care line in addition to my new love for MK color.

Forties

Years rocked on, 3 sons by this time, single mom mode set in, day care and college tuition were a nightmare, and my beauty regime suffered.  Years rocked on, and my sons were grown and gone.  I hit 40 remarking my 40's would be better than my 30's.  I hit 50, and I shut down mentally!  My grandmother and mother both died at 69, and all I could think of was I had 19 years left, 18 years left, 17 years left.  Then, at 53 something woke me up.  Can't remember exactly what it was but, I'm thankful it happened.

Fifties

"What do I do now?" I asked myself as I looked into the mirror.  Who was this woman?  It didn't look like me.  Lines around my mouth, saggy jowls, age spots, uneven skin tone, a double chin, and a furrow between the eyebrows greeted me.  My husband's remark, "aging beats the alternative" made me thankful to be alive.  I HAVE to do something to continue living the life God gave me.  I have to find a way to honor Him, and glorify His name.

The first step to regaining control of my life was rededicating it to God, and being thankful I have lived a good life, and for 53 years.  The second step was starting this blog, "Vain Worries" along with a few more.  Vain Worries allowed me to express all of my worries over aging and getting feed back from those who share my concerns.  Yes, it is vain to worry about aging considering all of the sorrow and sadness other women all over the world can suffer.  Nonetheless, if affected me and I have to ask God to forgive me all the time.

Enter, Heather and Lisa!  Facebook has a blessing.  My cousin, Heather, started working as a Mary Kay consultant and sent me a video to watch at my leisure.  My answer to the questions it asked were, "Yes!"

"If someone offers you an amazing opportunity and you aren't sure you can do it, say yes - then learn how to do it later!" ~ Richard Branson, Virgin Airlines

I enrolled as a Mary Kay consultant!  I started off very slowly, almost a crawl, two steps forward and one step back but, WOW, did I make a great choice.  Deep discounts on personal makeup purchases alone are reason enough to become a MK associate.  Work as much or as little as you wish.  Be home with the children when needed. 

Weekly meetings, yes, WEEKLY meetings with other sales associates are like pep rallies!  Encouragement when you need it, leadership when you want it, fun tips and testing new products are just a few perks.  Extensive training with the best makeup artist's in the business are available online. Stay up to date on makeup trends! Coach purses, jewelry, and other sales goal awards are offered.  Have your own sales line and, be a director. 

Can you believe it?  The next National Sales Director's meeting will be in London, England! And the most obvious reward for all of your hard work and dedication to your business, the opportunity to drive a Pink Cadillac with White Chevy's and a Black BMW in between!!!  I've seen it!  I WANT TO DO IT MYSELF!!!

If I knew then, what I know now, I would have started my Mary Kay career in my 30's!  I have been fortunate to represent the best names and products in the business but, for my lifestyle, Mary Kay is the way to go.

Stop here?....or NOT!!!

Email me at camrobn@yahoo.com if you want to see the video that changed my outlook on my middle-aged life.  If your answers are "Yes!" then, speak briefly to my sales director, and you, too, can be rewarding yourself and other women with the opportunity of a life time!

That pink cadillac knows no age!  Only diligence!  Today IS the first day of the rest of your life.





2 comments:

  1. Carolyn, the time spent chatting with you on Facebook made you one of my dearest online friends. I always thought you were a beautiful woman with a fantastic personality. I felt you had the tools to be so much more than you had been able to accomplish.
    I remember well the picture you sent me of you with green hair.
    Our chats were fun for me but you suddenly disappeared from Facebook and even though I searched everywhere for your name it was as though you were gone from the face of the earth.
    I am both surprised and thrilled to hear from you again.
    God bless you and your lifelong journey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want every herpes patient to please read my testimony, my name is SARAH MORGAN and I am from California in the USA, I contracted genital herpes from my ex boyfriend who never had any symptoms. I have had it for 4 months now., and it has affected my life. I have told my boyfriends who I trusted about it and I have never had a bad reaction, it has affected my new relationships with Smith and people think herpes is really a minor skin irritation herpes has a long term effects on health. The stigma attached to this virus by ignorant people is ridiculous. Most people have herpes in one form or another. I would like to advise people on how I get rid of my herpes and I was reading a comment on the internet,and I saw a testimony posted by a woman from Germany that she get rid of her herpes with the help of DR AHKIGBE and so I was so happy when I saw that post, that his herbal medication is free and I quickly collected the herbal doctor email and I email him within 3 hr he respond to my email and I explain things to him he told me not to worry that he is going to cure me totally with his herbal medicine he only request for little money that he will use to buy the items for the preparation of the herbal medicine, wish I send to him because the pain was too much for me to bear and after some days he told me that he has prepare the herbal medicine, that I should send him my address that he want to send it to me via DHL or FED-EX that was how I got the herbal medication and I use it as I was told and after few days I found out that my herpes was no more, i went to hospital for confirmation and it was true really that was how i got my cured. DR AKHIGBE also cure other deadly diseases like,  HIV/AIDS, HERPES, DIABETES,CANCER, ALS, ASTHMA, WEAK BODY,  HEPATITIS A&B, DENGUE FEVER, RABIES, MARBURG  DISEASE, THYROID,  HYPEROPIA, SMALLPOX, ARTHRITIS, MENINGITIS ,LUPUS, EPILEPSY, CHRONIC DISEASE, DICK AND BREAST ENLARGEMENT, MALARIA, BACTERIAL DIARRHEA HEART DISEASE., JOINT PAIN, STOMACH PAIN,  DENGUE SCHIZOPHRENIA, POLIO,MULTIPLES SCLEROSIS, HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE,  SORENESS/INJURY,  VAGINAL  DISCHARGE,  CHANCROID, DEPRESSION, TUBERCULOSIS, ALZHEIMER , PENIS ENLARGEMENT, PARKINSON'S, to get your rid kindly via his email:   drrealakhigbe@gmail.com    contact his number:  +2349010754824           website:  https://drrealakhigbe.weebly.com       you can still write me on Instagram to get more information. on Sarah Morgan 06.

    ReplyDelete