Friday, March 16, 2012

Vain Worries: Fit and Firm

Exercise and Aging: The need for exercise remains a constant throughout life, but the exercise routine may need a tweak after 50.

This week has been interesting and challenging.  I have started physical therapy for fall issues associated with my 3 fainting spells which resulted in a brief hospital stay in early February.  Since my release, I've broken my right toe (the piggy that had none), had 3 MRI's, a sleep study consult with a sleep study scheduled, an EEG, and other medically necessary tests.  Oh, I have Multiple Sclerosis, and hearing loss, just so you know.  I've been poked, prodded, drained dry, and greased all in the name of medical care, which I'm very thankful for.

During my physical therapy session, the young therapist measured my strength, balance, range of motion, and whatever else they had to do.  She encouraged me to join the water aerobics fitness classes for MS patients so I could learn what exercises to do this summer in our home pool.  Also, I was referred to a "Fit for Life" exercise class for adults over age 50.  Yep, that's me.  I can hardly believe it.  I'm 51 years old as of 03/07/2012!

I can remember my Dad exercising to Jack LaLane.  He had been on the gymnastics team in high school.  He was also a firefighter, and they usually ran around the firehouse for fitness.  Unfortunately, my dad didn't make it to 50.  He passed away at 47 with a heart attack which I attribute to the over use of a potassium based salt replacement.

My Mom was a tom boy.  She played women's softball for our church, so she was fit as well.  Years later, her health took a dive, and she became sedentary.  I don't want that to happen to me.

"Fit for Life" teaches aging active adults how to restructure their exercise routine to minimize joint damage or other issues, and maximize fitness levels for better health.  Or "Fit for Life" introduces fitness to sedentary adults. I'm ready!

The majority of my life has included exercise: gym memberships,  exercise aid gadgets and gizmos, and/or various cardio, aerobic, or dancercize classes.  Micky Mouse disco became an early favorite when I was teaching my 12-year younger sister the need for exercise.  Stair climbing was my choice over elevators.  Then, the Jane Fonda revolution started in the early 80's.  I could do those moves so well, you would have thought I was Jane. Disclaimer:(I know some of you don't like Jane, and I understand why, but I loved her exercise record. Sorry if that offends you.)

Later, walking, Hip Hop Abs (to encourage my son's exercise habits), and the exercise bike were my choice of fitness activities in my home.  But, recently, the kick-your-backside P90X was purchased for intensity and the assurance that in 90 days you could have abs.  Well, I have Abs, she is my niece, but my abs are long since gone, and the intensity too strenuous for me right now.  My son, however, loves it.  After the first day when I asked if he wanted to go the steak house for dinner, he said, "Mom, I'm so tired and sore I don't think I could cut a steak."  It was too funny.

Zumba fitness is offered at my church, and I really want to go, but I haven't yet.  I have heard it is a lot of fun.  I just hope my sagging, flabby arms won't hit me in the face, and slap me silly.  Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment