Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Vain Worries: Face to face with someone new

By Carolyn Roberson - Friday 02 Sep 2011 
 
Vain worries: Face to face with someone new
Today, I was looking in the mirror, and didn’t recognize the person staring back! My thought was “who in the world are you?” followed by “where did I go?” Everything is different: the hair, the eyes, the wrinkles, the nose, the earlobes, and the turkey neck.

Vain worries: Aging.

Dermal tone facial exerciser:

 

I bought one years ago, and started using it right away. It helped, and I don’t know why I quit using it. These little devices work by using small electrical impulses that actually exercise facial muscles, thus the name Natural Face Lift has been associated with it. I was skeptical, but used it anyway. I could see a difference, but could anyone else see it? That answer came at my mother’s funeral when someone asked me how I stayed looking so young to which I replied, “DERMAL TONE!” I don’t know why I stopped using it, and couldn’t tell you where it is. I’ve got to look for it and start again.

Sun-damaged skin:

 

I’m dermatologist bound! Microdermabrasion, laser skin resurfacing, and chemical peel are just a few tricks the doctor has up his sleeve. However, are these treatments cost prohibited? Selective dermatological therapy isn’t covered by my insurance; so how deeply in my pocket book can I go? Unfortunately, my purse isn’t Mary Poppins issue providing a never-ending assortment of things to pull out of the bag.

Fade creams:

 

During my years working for Clinique at a Parisian department store in the cosmetic department, I ran across a product called Vantex. It was a product in the Fashion Fair line, which is a cosmetics line for darker skinned women. My fair skin self couldn’t use the makeup, but found that Vantex fade cream sure cleared up the discolored sunspots popping up on my face. However, I’ve not seen that product for years, and other fade creams contain quinine, which upsets my delicate stomach. Yes, it makes me nauseous to use. Come to think of it, I may have seen an ad for Clinique’s new fade cream, or was I dreaming? Perhaps, I need to check that out!

Therapeutic Massage:

 

I’ve allotted a few dollars each month for massage therapy. It is great for the stiffness, tired, aching muscles, and mental clarity. Whether it is 30 minutes or one hour, I have decided that, at least once a month, I’m having a massage. Get creative, you can get a massage in different ways. Wal-Mart sells those massage cushions, which I’ve used—and, it was comfortable. Some malls have massage chairs now. You can drop a quarter in and get a few minutes of treatment, or you can invest in a massage chair for yourself. It’s up to you!

Weight loss, and weight management:

 

Years ago, in the early 80s, I used Herbalife to keep my weight in check. Slowly creeping up over the years, and a constant yo-yo of weight gain, and loss, my body is not springing back to shape. I’m not morbidly obese like those super obese shows we see on TV, but the elasticity of my skin is gone. So, skin flaps will have to be surgically removed at some point, but there is the cost issue once again. Thank goodness I’ve found Herbalife again. It makes me feel good to use, keeps the weight off, and helps with the yo-yo cycle. But, like any good weight loss program, the key to loosing is moderation, exercise, and self-discipline. Weight loss is a mind thing. No one can do it for you, and nothing is an easy, magic way to loose. And, take it slow: you didn’t gain overnight, and you can’t loose overnight.

Time management:

 

Time doesn’t stand still: it keeps marching forward, and waits for no one. Take a few minutes a day to pamper yourself or at least once a week. Use your Ped Egg, and some Heel Tastic for those scratchy feet; and put your aloe infused socks on before bed. Paint your toenails. And remember, what skin therapy you use on your face, use it on your hands so your hands will stay younger looking as well. At-home manicures are a great pick-me-up any time. You only get one life, so make it comfortable while you travel the years you are given.

Okay, so this was my pep talk to myself. I hope it helps pick you up when you look in the mirror and ask, “What’s a vain woman to do?!”

No comments:

Post a Comment