Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Vain Worries: Rogaine for Women

Hags, sags, and bags...vain worries about changes due to aging, reinvention, and healthy respect for your older body and mind.

By Carolyn Roberson - Thursday 27 Oct 2011
Vain worries: Rogaine for Women
OK, so I wrote a silly little essay about my vain worries over thinning hair:

Well, I’ve been thinking about using Rogaine for Women to see if I could coax my scalp into growing some hair in my crown area. Have you seen the price of that stuff?! I certainly don’t want to waste that much money to determine whether new hair will grow. It would be a waste if it did not, and I would feel guilty. And my hopes of its success are not as high as the cost of the product.

I found a 2 oz bottle of Minoxidil for $6.99 at Kroger in my hometown. My sister was with me, we briefly discussed it, and she encouraged me to “just get it.” So, I did!

We get home, and we are putting away groceries. I run across the Kroger Brand of Rogaine for Women, and start reading the label. Immediately, I get a pit in my stomach over the $6.99 purchase.
“Cautions for use” are listed, and one is family history of hair loss. Well, as I stated in Vain Worries: Thinning Hair, my dad was bald later in life. Since baldness is normally male pattern, I thought, “Well, maybe that doesn’t apply to me.” Others cautions for use are hair loss due to childbirth, sudden and patchy hair loss, unknown reasons for hair loss, scalp problems or use of scalp medications, and the degree of hair loss.

Sissy and I discussed these cautions, and decided it might be worth me using. I continued reading the label. Heart disease patients were advised to seek doctor’s approval before using the product. OK, so no problem there.

The next section lists “recommendations for use.” This is where all hysteria breaks out. It states NOT to use the product on any other area of your body other than your scalp! Sissy is laughing uncontrollably by this time because she quipped not to spill it on my back. And, I asked, “where would someone else want to use Minoxidil other than their head?! By this time, I’m remembering the funny commercial of the woman riding on her motor scooter with long red armpit hair blowing in the wind.

Laughing so hard I’m crying, I continue to read. The “stop use” section — I see unexplained weight gain might occur, which I don’t need, along with chest pain, dizziness, swelling of hands and feet, and scalp irritation. Oh, not so good! Then the kicker that sent Sissy and me reeling with laughter: may cause unwanted facial hair.

So, I end up like my daddy; a bald headed teddy bear. Groceries: $201.43, Minioxidil: $6.99, A good laugh with Sissy: Priceless, Aged related hair loss: what’s a vain woman to do?

No comments:

Post a Comment